Re: Continental Touring kit label...

To: <odd.hedberg@bigfoot.com>
Subject: Re: Continental Touring kit label...
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:58:16 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

>John,
>Great idea!
>Could You give us the dimensions of the label itself?
>The box You said was 24"*9" and 6" deep, or is it
>24"*6" and 9" deep?  What's the colour of the cardboard,
>Black with a "leather" like structure on the outside?

Hi, Odd

One thing I can tell you for sure is that I got my tits in the mangle when I
posted the original notice to the list. The kit in question is for my
spitfire - so where the hell's the one for my GT6? I know - my French
neighbour said she saw someone speaking French with a Canadian accent, so
obviously Dave Terrick was lurking in the undergrowth somewhere near at
hand, or was it Greg Wolf!! <BG> Looks like it got lost in the housemove!
Anyway, I've checked the box dimensions again and they are 24" long x 9"
(front to back) x 6" high. The carboard is glazed and a medium to dark tan.
I remember that these kits came in a wide range of sizes and different box
types over the years and for a while, some of the stronger boxes were made
by the same company who made the transmission tunnels for the
Herald/Spitfire/GT6/TR by the name of Prestfibre. To anticipate perhaps
inevitable questions of why such a box, it has to be remembered that many of
these kits were never used but were sold to customers, sold back to the
dealer, sold again ASO. Thus they had to be able to take some abuse.
Ref label size, the one I posted to the website is as close as I can get to
the original. I wanted to scan the original label but it would have been
slightly out of focus, so I used the backing card from the amazingly useful
service tool I sent out with the book.
All for fun

JM