Re: Former factory paint references

To: <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Former factory paint references
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:40:34 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Jack W Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>

Joe Curry wrote

>PPG is a Major paint supplier in the US and they are now the owner of
>what used to be Ditzler.  So those codes are very important.  After
>going through their books last month, I will be very curious to see if
>you have any more to add to what they provided.  Their codes were by no
>means complete.

To all of you who replied, I can't guarantee that I've found the COMPLETE
list of paint NAMES or their codes. I'm inclined to believe it is likely to
be complete as the multi-generation photocopy in my possession says
"TRIUMPH ENGINEERING DIVISION - FLETCHAMPSTEAD NORTH" - which is where it
was located. It's therefore reasonably safe to assume it's a definitive list
of all the paint colour names for the period it covers. The former Berger
and ICI reference numbers have been largely superceded and this is why I
thought it would be sensible to use a current PPG number. This pre-supposes
that PPG operates the same global part numbering system - and assumption
upon which it's not safe to rely. Consequently, the number I do uncover will
be references known in the UK. All I really wanted to know is would the
material in updated form be of any use to the list as a whole?

JM