Salt Paranoia

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Salt Paranoia
From: "Radley, Jack" <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 08:01:46 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
I have had my TR6 for about three months now.  I have put about 500
miles on it since Christmas, driving only when it was dry and the
streets were salt free.  Considering the car is garaged when not being
driven, kept very clean, etc., what are my concerns about salt on the
roads.  On an occasion or two, I have driven into an area that had
salt/salt dust on the pavement.  A TR6 friend leads me to believe that
the car will instantly turn to rust on any contact with salt.  I take
care to flush out the inner fenders, wash the car thoroughly and even
drive it afterwards to help blow water out of the panels.

I am paranoid of salt, and will never take the car out in clearly
adverse conditions, but what is the rest of the story.  What are the
hazards and what are the precautions a TR6 owner should take.  I have
learned where to look for rust, but what are the tips on preventing it
in the first place?  I plan to keep this TR6 for the duration.

Jack Radley
Cincinnati Ohio - salty roads as I type.
76TR6