RE: Salt Paranoia

To: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Salt Paranoia
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:42:16 -0800
Jack :

The salt/rust equation isn't nearly as bad as your friend indicates, but
it's wise to be wary.

The best prevention is constant vigilance.  Find and repair any chips or
scratches that expose steel to air.  Rust tends to "grow", so be sure to
remove any you find, before repainting.  What you put over the steel isn't
nearly as important as keeping the steel covered and away from oxygen and
water.

I've had fairly good luck with a product called "Extend" (sold under
several brand names including Permatex and Duro).  It's a clear liquid that
combines with the rust and converts it to a stabler compound (ferrous
oxide, I suspect).  You remove as much rust as possible (I use a wire brush
in a die grinder), put on several coats of this stuff (I like the spray
can), wait for it to turn black, then paint over it.  The data sheet is at
http://www.loctite.com/datasheets/tds/79daaam.pdf  Wiping the area with
Acryli-clean after wire brushing, and then heating with a propane torch to
drive off any water or solvent seems to help also.  Unfortunately, you
can't heat something where you want to save any adjacent paint.

Eastwood (and others, I'm sure) has started selling a product called
"Corroless" that sounds like it might work even better.  And, I've read of
a product called POR 15 that some people seem to like, but I don't know
much about it.

Randall