Emissions versus HP experience

To: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Emissions versus HP experience
From: bollen@ibm.net
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 09:52:57 -0500
I plan to have Woody do some motor work on the TR8 fairly soon. Problem
is, we really don't know the effect on emissions at various stages of
tune.
I have no cats on the car right now. I passed once with an Offy manifold
and Rochester carb and a worn out camshaft (64ppm HC- allowed is 200).
Now I have a Holley 390, mildly upgraded cam and Edelbrock 2198
manifold- emissions unknown. I can next go to a ported head and headers,
stronger valve springs to give around 200HP or go to the next stage
head, more aggressive cam and hi comp pistons (250HP) which is what I
would like to do.
If anyone has any experience around free flow aftermarket cats, emission
values etc. after they upgraded would appreciate a note. Stu