Starter Motor Disassembly Help

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter Motor Disassembly Help
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:08:49 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Good Morning Listers,

I just came up from the workshop... I've hit a snag.  I am disassembling my
TR4 starter motor to clean, re-bush, re-brush and paint in preparation for
re-installing on the new engine.

The starter has a 1976 manufacture date on it and has the very late type of
retainer on the end of the drive assembly.  I need to remove and
disassembly this to get at the drive-end bush in the end cover.  My Haynes
and Triumph Workshop manual don't mention this design.  They show a screw
on retainer with a cotter pin.  The Moss catalog does shows a later type
the uses a circlip type of retainer.   I don't recognize what I have right
off from the Moss drawing... although they are similar.   I can't find any
thing to remove to undo it on mine.

How do you get this new type of retainer off the end of the shaft.  Do you
have to compress the spring and pop something out.  I cant' think of how I
will compress the VERY thick coil spring and still be able to get at the
end of the retainer.

All advice will be appreciated

The alternative is to just not replace the bush..... but a good shipwright
can't do that.... right.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA
sanborn@net1plus.com