Water Pump Questions?

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Water Pump Questions?
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 20:14:33 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers more help please,

This is a well discussed subject and have searched my "keeper" file and the
Internet archive for the answer.  No luck.

I was trying to disassemble my water pump for cleaning and painting... for
the last steps of my engine rebuild.  I can't seem to get the pulley to
come of the shaft.  I have used a big puller with a weekend of "PB Blaster"
soaking and tried heating the pulley... just hot, not red hot.

I have  noticed that the pump is the replacement type with no grease nipple
but the blank boss is there  The pulley is held on by a washer a nyloc nut.

Here is the first question... how free wheeling is the pump supposed to be.
The one have has a definite pronounced drag on it and will not spin
freely.... not even one revolution.  Is this normal or should I replace the
pump??   There is no play or wobble that might suggest a loose or worn
bearing.   It just acts like it is running dry.

Second question.... If I do replace it..... and I can destroy the old pump
shaft if need be... how do I get this pulley off???

TIA.. all advice is appreciated

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA
sanborn@net1plus.com