Re: What Are All Those Holes For?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What Are All Those Holes For?
From: "AJ Turner" <2aj@aj-turner.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:57:00 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello Hans,

-----Original Message-----
From: Hansen, Hans C, III (Red), GLSVC <rhansen@att.com>
Date: Monday, March 15, 1999 6:41 AM
Subject: What Are All Those Holes For?

>The battery was dead. Can I charge it from a regular 4 amp battery charger?

Yes, it may take awhile longer than a stronger charger but, it'll work
provided that battery is "worth" re-charging?

>If so, do I reverse the leads? Can I jump it from my regular
positive-ground
>car? Again, do I reverse the cables?

NO!  A '74 TR-6 would be the same as any American 12 v car......negative
ground.  Just hook the cables the same you would on any modern day car.

>There is no carpeting or panels in the boot, so I was staring at cold,
hard,
>rust-free metal with some sort of filthy, old paint on it. But, what I
>couldn't understand were all the small, factory-drilled holes in the metal.
>I think they are original. But, what are they for? Are these holes for
snaps
>for the interior panels that I'll be buying in the future? Should there be
>bushings in them? Is there a "map" of the boot area somewhere so I know
what
>I'm looking at?

They probably are for the mounting of the interior liners, etc.  But, I
don't recall having any in the actual floor section of the trunk (boot).
That should have a well to hold the spare tire (tyre).  The only holes I can
actuall recall would be along the sides and accross the top area for
securing the liner sections.  You ought to also have a couple of wires
hanging there to hook-up the trunk (boot) lamp as well!  The actual floor is
a false foor that is stepped and goes over top of the spare tire, then there
is carpeting that belongs over top of that.

>Finally, the top has never been up for the past 6 years until I put it up
>yesterday. Because of the coldness, the material was stiff, unyielding and
>guess I forced the rear window zipper too hard because it stripped. What's
>the best way to repair the zipper?

If it's only the zipper in need of repair (you're lucky!), then I'd see an
place that does repairs of "convertible tops" and/or auto interiors, seat
covers, etc.  You may even try a place that makes custom boat covers or
camper repairs.  They should have the know-how and equipment to sew in a new
zipper (and have the zippers on stock).

Hope this helps!,

AJ turner