RE: How much to trim off head?

To: "'John Middlesworth'" <jape@email.unc.edu>
Subject: RE: How much to trim off head?
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:53:43 -0800
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
John :

IMO you should only clean up the surface, not remove any extra.  It's
already difficult to buy gas with the factory recommended octane (at least
in the U.S.), and any extra compression ratio will only aggravate the
problem.  If you want to try a higher CR, use one of the thinner head
gaskets.  That way, you can go back later, if you want.

Before I'm deluged with mail, let me point out that the 92 octane 'Premium'
commonly available in the U.S. is rated by the "R+M/2" method, which gives
a reading 3-5% higher than the "motor" method that was commonly in use in
the 50's, when Triumph wrote the recommendation for 90 octane gas.  Thus,
it is actually only 87-89 octane.  The federally mandated addition of MTBE
only aggravates the problem.

However, be sure to rebuild your head with the later 5/16" exhaust valve
stems instead of the earlier 3/8" ones.  IMO this will make a bigger
difference than milling the head.  Get the hardened exhaust valve seats,
too.

If you do decide to mill the head, be sure to start by measuring for any
previous milling.  According to Ken Gillanders, the stock head measures
between 3.325 and 3.330 from the valve cover gasket surface to the head
gasket surface.  Ken also suggests .060 off the head and a thin head gasket
as being the maximum for the street.

Randall