RE: Next SU carb question

To: "'drew@pixar.com'" <drew@pixar.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Next SU carb question
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 12:06:54 -0800
Drew :

I'm not sure of the details, but I do know that some early SU's used a stud
mount arrangement for the fuel bowl, instead of the later (and simpler)
bolt mount.  Since the stud mount had bolt flats and a washer between the
carb body and the fuel bowl, it seems to me that the fuel bowl body would
have to be taller to compensate for the lower mounting point.  Is it
possible you have the stud mount attachment (ie to remove the bowl you
remove a nut) with a bolt mount bowl ?

I've heard of the "level in the jet" method of setting float level before,
but thought it was supposed to be 1/32" down from the top of the jet (or
something like that).

BTW, I've never seen the banjo-type covers on a 3A, only on 2's and very
early 3's.  Even the '56 TR3 I had used push-on fuel lines.  I'm not
suggesting yours are incorrect, just that there seems to be a much wider
variation in these cars than some people think.  Some of it can be
explained by people replacing parts without realizing they are different,
but I suspect a lot of it was done at the factory.  Is it possible your car
wasn't originally delivered in the U.S. ?

Randall