TR2/3 painting question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, mister_toad@email.msn.com
Subject: TR2/3 painting question
From: JIM_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:54:43 -0500
Mark,
Didn't see much response on this question. My understanding (and that's all
it is) is that the fenders were loosely bolted in place, and then the works
was painted. All the cars I've seen had the welting painted body colour, so
that lines up.
Then there's still the question of tightening the bolts after they're
painted. I posted this to the list and vaFred Thomas replied that if you
put a bit of grease on the bolt heads before tightening them down you won't
chip the paint. I never did hear what was done at the factory. John Mac,
are you out there? Can you enlighten us on this one?
Regards,
Jim Wallace
TS81417
From: "Mark Gendron"

What is the favored method of painting a TR2 or 3? Should the fenders
be painted separately and then assembled on the painted tub? Or should
the vehicle be sprayed in primer, assembled, and then painted? The
presence of the fender welting would seem to favor the paint-then-
assemble option.

If you paint the fenders separately and then assemble the car, how do
you do the final touch-up on the bolts? Do you leave the bolts unpainted?
If you paint the bolts, do you try to mask around the bolts or do you
simply re-paint the entire fender mounting flanges?