RE: Electric WATER PUMPS?

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Electric WATER PUMPS?
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 20:07:33 -0800
The electric water pumps seem to still be very common on drag race engines.
 My understanding is that they solve several problems peculiar to drag
racing, and are not applicable for the street.  (Which doesn't explain the
usefulness on an autocrosser <g>)
One reason is to get rid of the fan belt.  Seems drag motors have a bad
habit of ripping V-belts in half during a run.  Of course, it's possible to
run the pump from the blower belt, but it's a big hassle.  The electric
pump is simpler and easier.
Another reason is that water pumps don't work too well at high RPM.  (I've
been told that the stock water pump in a TR3 will cavitate at 7000 RPM)
And the third reason is yes, to save power. Drag motors have no alternator,
so the only issue is the weight of the battery, which is quite small, only
big enough to last for the minute or so it takes to stage and run.  Drag
racers (like many serious racers) look for anything that will make them
faster, even if it's only by .0001 second.  (After all, find ten of those
things, and you are faster by .001 second, which might make the difference
between winning and losing !)

Randall

On Tuesday, March 16, 1999 6:40 PM, Kim and Kelly Alford
[SMTP:alfords@seanet.com] wrote:

> But the question is:  Would the increased draw from the electric water
pump
> combined with electric fans increase drag on the engine from the
alternator
> (or generator), to keep up with the additional electrical demand?
 Remember,