RE: Follow up - TR6 Radiator

To: "'Radley, Jack'" <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Follow up - TR6 Radiator
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:35:38 -0800
Jack :

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but : Have you tried a regular radiator
shop ?  They may be able to order you a new one from Modine or whoever.
 Another possibility is to have your old tanks repaired and put on a new
core.  Last time I asked, this was about 2/3 the cost of a new radiator.
If memory serves, a TR6 radiator is fairly 'normal', you might be able to
find a used one from another car that your shop can solder the appropriate
brackets to.  Of course, you already HAVE a used one ... <g>

Last, it's been my experience that, if the radiator shop says it can be
repaired, they mean repaired to be as good as a new one.  My '59 TR3A still
has the original radiator, which has been repaired only once, not long
after I got the car.  The problem proved to be a cracked solder joint,
probably because the DPO had not used the proper "bellows type" upper
radiator hose.  I've never had any further trouble with leaks.  I've taken
in a fair number of radiators and heater cores over the years.  My
experience has been that a good shop will tell you (for free) when it's not
worth repairing.

Here lately tho, it seems the repair cost is so close to the replacement
cost that it's not worth it.  My wife's Dodge had a leak, the repair was
$60, replacement was $90.  Of course, I always do the R&R myself, since
it's fairly easy and a major portion of the cost.

Randall