Re: Electric Waterpumps

To: <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electric Waterpumps
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 15:42:48 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Actually, the fuel flow rate was .5 PINTS/BHP/Hr, not lbs/BHP/Hr.  Thus,
under the conditions you have stated and using my initial assumptions, the
heat equivalent of 24 BHP would be about 61,100 BTUH.  This would require a
cooling water mass flow rate of 51 lbs/min, or a volume flow rate of 6.1
gpm.  HP consumed by the pump would be .027 BHP.  At twice the speed, the
BHP would be .22 BHP and the flow rate would be 12.2 gpm, with a heat
rejection capacity of 122,000 BTUH, and at four times the speed the BHP
would be 1.75 BHP, flow rate 24.4 gpm and heat rejection capacity of 244,000
BTUH.  HOWEVER, all this assumes that the TDH, which is determined by the
pressure drop across the system, stays constant, which it doesn't.  In fact,
the pressure drop is dependent upon flow rate through the system and varies
as the square of the flow rate.  So, as the speed doubles, power increase
eight times and pressure drop increases four times.  This is why variable
speed pumping is used in large variable flow pumping applications in
industry - a 4,000 HP pump running at half capacity will only require 500 HP
if run at variable speed, whereas it will consume almost the full 4000 HP if
the flow rate is changed by throttling the flow with a valve.  See, you
didn't know we had such a high-tech, energy efficient device on our cars,
did you?

BTW, the TR engine was originally a saloon car engine that just happened to
be applied to a Fergusson tractor back in the late forties - it was never
developed from the tractor engine.