Re: Electric Waterpumps

To: "Randall Young" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>, "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electric Waterpumps
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 22:49:38 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Yes, that's correct.  The head seen by the pump is a combination of static
head (the difference in height between the level of fluid on the suction
side and the level of the fluid on the delivery side) and dynamic head,
which is causied by the friction experienced by the fluid as it flows
through the block, hoses, radiator etc.  In this case, static head is
negligible.  Dynamic Head is proportional to the square of the flow rate.
The relationship between head and flow through a system is known as the
system curve.  In theory, your calculated heads are correct if your
assumption for the initial head is correct.  Actually, the dynamic head at
idle will be minimal - certainly measured in inches, I would think, rather
than feet.  Remember, the system pressure can never rise above the pressure
rating of the radiator cap.