JB Weld on headers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: JB Weld on headers
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:54:07 -0800
I had a small crack in one of the welds on the header collector (took me a
while to find it.  I knew there was a leak somewhere but didn't find it
till just last night).  Welding was out of the question as the part is Jet
Hot coated.  I heard so many good things about JB weld, and had used it in
the past and it never let me down, so I thought I would try it.  I had a
small amount laying around so I thought, what the heck.  I was wary of
using it because of the extreme temperature encountered in this area but I
figured at worst case, it would just burn off.  These are shorty type
headers, with the collector about 6-8 inches away from the head so they get
pretty hot, even at the collector junction.  Went to work this morning (25
minute freeway drive) after applying it last night, and so far, it hasn't
burned off.  I know it's still working because I haven't heard the telltale
phtt phtt sound!  We'll see how long it lasts. . .but if it holds up under
these conditions, then it is a truly remarkable hobbyist epoxy!

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)