Re: TR3 engine swaps?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, Jeff Foster <jfoster@bdcast.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 engine swaps?
From: Dave Brink <dbrink@niu.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 17:59:43 -0600
That sounds like a somewhat ambitious project.  You are going to need to
structurally weld and cut metal and make many measurements (and use some
basic trig at the least). But it *probably* won't overload the stock
diff and axles.  I would consider trading you my 1500 4 speed trans and
engine for the truck (after I get the rabbit truck back on the road) if
it looks like I can make it fit in my spit and I can get FI and EI for
that toyota block from the boneyard, if it isn't already equipped AND if
it would be easier for you to put in a 1500 engine and trans.  Which
begs the question, how hard is it to put a 1500 engine and trans in a 53
tr3?  Which begs the question, is there a parts interchangeability
source somewhere (preferrably on the web :).

And I have to ask why do people who talk about swapping in non-triumph
items into their triumphs frequently feel the need to take it off the
list ASAP?  This has GOT to be more relevant than electric water pumps,
theoretical pump cavitations, cookie recepies, drive shaft driven
alternators, european languages and generalizations about "todays youth"
and the readers of this list... and I for one AM interested in the
subject and am not ashamed of it.  I have my reasons for wanting to
drive something with a more modern engine and trans (not necessarily
more powerful either), yet still like the styling and handling of my
wifes spit (and she wants to drive it 100 miles a day at 80+ MPH).
Can't we all just get along?

P.S. Jeff, you anywhere near Chicago?  What year/model is the truck?