Re: TR6 Radiators

To: JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Radiators
From: rgb@exact.com
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 09:09:46 1999

>I am seriously considering a new radiator for my 76 TR6.

In general on a nice car, having the top/bottom removed and
"rod'ed" is an easy approach, generally fixes all cooling
problems.

>Does anyone have any experience with the new radiators?
Yes, 3 new, TR6 used 3 different styles, believe early has
the drain, middle doesn't, late has new angled top outlet
to clear the air pump belt (note different temp neck too).

>Is the workmanship good?
Excellent, they are made in Portugal (anyone over there, these
things are likely $100 apiece at the source!!!)

>Are there any considerations regarding originality?

They are perfect in every way... except:

  1.  The original radiators have a conventry stamp into the
      upper cover, look closely, I believe this is visible from
      the top if you know where to look

  2.  The studs on each side are metric or something, anyway
      the original nuts didn't fit

These things really gripe me, I mean all the effort to reproduce
an "almost" perfect replacement and then botch the details.

>Any difference between units offered by TRF, Moss, VB?

Believe these are one of the "same" item, different prices...  i.e.
shop for the best price.
(I have a 1975/76 one, new in the box here that I was planning to
 return... rgb@exact.com if you want it)

>very few extra dollars I can go new with a lot less trouble.

Its actually just as easy to have a new original style core
installed at a local radiator place, this eliminates concerns
one and two above.  I'd either have it unpainted OR request
decent paint.  Eastwood makes a good radiator paint.

(oh, I had the cheaper honey-comb core put in one radiator, much
 better cooling, cheaper, etc. said the guy...   I couldn't tell
 any difference and the back side of the core doesn't look quite
 "right", so I paid for the original style next time)

Interesting footnote, the original style core is always special order
and has risen in price 2X over the last 5 years...  once again, must
be a source for these that's much cheaper.  Most this stuff is manf,
sold to a dist, sold to another dist, sold to your radiator guy, sold
to you.   Each guy marks it up 50% to cover all the damage and inventory
costs...  Who is the US manf?  This would be a big win.

Roger

--
Roger G. Bolick, rgb@exact.com 512-794-9567, FAX 512-345-2879