TR6 Radiators

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Radiators
From: "Radley, Jack" <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 08:22:51 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
I have a few problems with my radiator and am considering a replacement
rather than a repair.  My problems involve a filler neck that needs
replacing (torn metal on the flange) and what appears to be a leak in
the fin area.  I hadn't noticed the leak before and it may be from a
change in the system operation from the new thermostat I put in.

Unlike the majority of list members, I didn't buy my TR6 as a project
(although I have enjoyed my relatively minor ones I have taken on).  I
bought my car to drive for recreational purposes, the therapeutic value
of "lightweight tinkering" and the long term benefits of owning a
"collector car" over a new BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc.  My goal in going
over the car mechanically is to maintain it properly (and then some) and
to achieve as high a level of reliability as possible.

Getting back to my radiator, it looks like I can get a new one for about
$240.  If I repair my existing radiator, I am out the repair bill and I
have a radiator that is 23 years old and possibly still suspect after
the repairs.  For peace of mind (no tow bills, no repair bills, etc.,
etc.) I am seriously considering the new radiator.  I figure I can mail
order the unit, put it in and another chapter from the potential problem
book is gone.

Does anyone have experience with the new radiators available?  Are they
all the same?  Who has the best price/quality?  I'm no expert on
radiators, is my logic flawed?

Jack Radley
76TR6