Re: Brake fluid

To: George Richardson <grichardson@hpower.com>
Subject: Re: Brake fluid
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 07:28:26 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>I've been told that the Stag requires that you use only Girling brake
>fluid or the seals will give out. Since this is a Lockheed brake system
>with nothing special about it that I can see, I find this hard to
>believe, especially since none of my manuals say anything in particular
>about it.
This is true of all BL cars of pre 80's vintage.  This had to do with the
material used in the seals of the brake components.  They *were* made of
natural rubber and as such REQUIRED the use of Girling Dot 4 brack fluid.
If you used anything less than your seals WOULD swell incorrectly and fail
within a short period.  If you can verify that all the seals in your system
are synthic rubber and not natural rubber, then it would be safe to use Dot
3, but unless there is a problem getting Girling Dot 4 (shouldn't be, every
auto store I've been in, and even some stores like K-Mart, and  Target
carry it. It's not much more than Dot 3) then why take a chance?

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)