Control Box Problem?

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Control Box Problem?
From: Phil Ryan <pryan@itdesign.ie>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 09:20:08 -0000
Hello,
        Just wondering if someone could shed some light on my problem....  I
had
my ailing generator in my Spitfire Mk 3 replaced with a non-Lucas
alternator just before Christmas.  The Idle on the car up until recently
was about 1200rpm, which I knew was too high, but there was a good few
other things to do to the car before tuning it properly.  The other week,
for starters, I altered the slow idle down to around 800-900 rpm.  Made the
whole thing a lot quieter, but now when the car is idling (no other
electrics on) the ignition light dimly glows, occasionally up to full
brightness.  I measured the voltage at the battery, 11.9 volts.  I measured
the alternator and it was 14.4 volts.  I thought maybe the control box was
dodgy.  When I opened it up though it was gleaming.  Looks brand new but
the cover is old.  Not sure how to test this little baby with all those
wires coming out of the bottom.  I wonder if the idle that I have set from
the tacho is wrong (ie too low), can those guages measure incorrectly?
 Maybe the control box is cutting out supply back to the battery to stop
overcharging.  The ignition light does go off when I increase the rpm's.
 This is probably a simple one, but I'm not sure what that control box
does....

Cheers,
Phil