Easy transmission checks

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Easy transmission checks
From: JIM_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:53:36 -0500

--openmail-part-15c389ca-00000001

I have been corresponding with Brian Schlorff of Power British, and he has
provided the following tips in response to my request for transmission checks
without total teardown
(this probably applies to both a TR3 and 4):

(Maybe this is good material for the FAQ page)

> are
> there quick and dirty tests that can be done to check for problems without
> disassembly? I don't want to take the tranny apart if I don't have to.
> Jim

Jim,

The best thing to do is to pull the top cover and check a couple things.  Check
the
end float between 2nd and 3rd gears (middle two helical-cut gears),  if you
notice
just about any play (tolerance is .004" - .008" - hardly enough to feel) -
you've
probably got a bad bush - it's a common problem.

Next, check the clearance between the syncro rings and the dog teeth on the main
gears.  Minimum clearance is .030" - if you've got less, your syncros are due
to be
retired.

Check the side-to-side play on the input shaft.  If it flops easily from one
side to
the other, the bearing inside the input shaft is worn or the pilot on the
mainshaft is
scored.

Finally, drain the oil.  If you get any grey paste in the oil, that's what is
left of
the layshaft bearings (also a common failure point on the TR 'box).  To confirm
a bad
layshaft, you can remove the tail housing and withdrawl the layshaft for visual
inspection.

Sorry you need to partially disassemble to check this stuff out, but if your
'box
passes all the above tests, you can feel confident to put it back for many
years of
trouble free service.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars

--openmail-part-15c389ca-00000001--