Re: Coil Q again

To: John Gillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: Coil Q again
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 07:57:50 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, John Gillis wrote:

>       Got no reply to this one, so I'll try again, I hope somebody knows.
> The original ignition coil from my TR2, painted black with a flanged base
> and Bakalite top. On the top between the two terminals there is a screw
> which screws into a raised pillar on the coil. Does anybody know the
> function for this screw. I know some coils were oil filled and I thought
> this might be a filler plug, but on removing the said screw (I hope this
> does no damage) it would appear not to be the case. I have seen this same
> coil complete with screw in Piggott's TR2, 3, 3A book but he does not
> mention it. Are you stumped or what??????

I *think* that screw terminals were used to fasten the high-tension leads
into the coil. (and distributor cap)  Don't ask me how they fasten them
on, I've never used them.  But I think the Haynes (and p'haps the factory
manual?) have mention.

Most oil-bathed electrics things (coils, big capacitors) have NO provision
to be refilled.  If they leak, they need replacing!  ...I could be wrong
here too, but last time we blew a big cap' on our pump motor, it BLEW.
Let all the smoke out of it, and leaked a bunch of foul-looking black
stuff.  FWIW, the replacement capacitor was much smaller.  Capacitors and
coils are similar beasts (sort of)

Hmm, it's not for a bracket, is it?  Perhaps for fitting the coil onto a
different car (tractor?)?

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm