TR8 engine/crossmember orientation

To: <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR8 engine/crossmember orientation
From: "perry robinson" <tps@fastlane.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 18:38:44 -0600
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
OK, dumb question of the day.  When the engine is bolted into a stock TR8,
does the "ear" of the mount bolted onto the engine block go in front of
(towards the radiator), or behind of (towards the firewall), the mounting
"ear" of the stock TR8 crossmember?

Does it really matter?  I have a TR7 with a stock TR8 crossmember, and
assummed that the block mount would go behind the crossmember mount, just
to move the CG back a VERY little.  ALMOST everything fits, but I am using
mostly stock TR8 parts, and noticed that I was having problems with
radiator hoses fitting, and my exhaust fitting just right.

Is there really a wrong way or right way?  The very back end of the shifter
housing just BARELY clears the tunnel reinforcement in the tranny tunnel,
and the back of the heads clear the firewall and hood latch with the block
mounts behind the crossmember mounts.

Let me know what is stock position, and/or the "right"position

Later!

Perry