Spitfire Main Bearings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Main Bearings
From: "Martin C. Libhart" <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 13:33:53 -0600
I finally had time this week to open up the bottom end of my '70
Spitfire motor (1296cc) so I will know what to expect come rebuild
time.  I've had the motor on an engine stand since starting my frame-off
restoration project last year.  When I acquired this project car, the
motor ran, but was a real dog.  Good compression readings on cylinders 3
& 4, but very low on 1 & 2; lots of blue smoke.

To make a long story short, I was pleasantly surprised with my first
look at the crank and rods, not to mention the fact that both thrust
washers were still in place, with very little end float.  In fact, this
motor must have had a bearing job in it's recent past - the shells look
like new, and the crank journals have no scoring.  I expected much
worse!!

Here's my question....the main bearings are Clevite shells, and have the
following on the back of each shell:

     Clevite  CL 77
     MB-2359P
     0.254mm

Can anyone tell me if these are standard size bearings, or are they
oversized due to the crank having been ground previously?

Martin Libhart
1970 Spitfire
1972 TR6