Clutch Failure - any ideas???

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch Failure - any ideas???
From: Bill Davies <daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 09:43:07 +0000
Hi all,
        As some of you will be aware from recent my recent postings, my Wife's
Dolomite 1500 has been suffering from a failed clutch. As the entire
system is the same as a Spitfire 1500, someone here might have
encountered a similar problem.
        Last July, a new clutch was fitted by professionals, after the usual
signs of a worn unit, ie., much slipping with the usual nasty smell.
Supposedly, a full 3-piece unit was fitted.
        In the last few months, the clutch has got a little juddery, which I
assumed to be due to an inferior quality replacement. Eventually, a
couple of weeks ago I found there was virtually no clutch, and when I
checked the fluid, the reservoir was empty (yes, I know I should have
done this a long time ago, but have you seen how inaccessible the clutch
master cylinder is on a Dolomite!). I topped up the reservoir, and
pumped the pedal (which is usually adequate to regain pressure on a
Herald), but there was still very little clutch, no change.
        I had made up my mind that I would need to rebuild the hydraulics,
which I finally did on Saturday - no change. I dismantled everything and
rebuilt again (the seals were all the right way round before anyone
asks), re-bled - nothing. Re-bled again using an Eezibleed, still
nothing. While the system was apart the second time I checked if the
release arm pin could be moved by hand, and it couldn't. I'm at a loss
for what to do now.
        It may be a case that the fluid loss and clutch failure happened to
coincide, it's surprising how little fluid is needed to operate a
clutch! I had doubts about the quality of the workmanship and honesty of
the clutch centre who changed the clutch for my wife, but short of
pulling out the engine and gearbox for a bench inspection, is there
anything else I can try first?
        Hoping someone has some advice,
                Bill.

PS
  I have checked the endfloat on the crank and the thrust bearings semm
OK.

--
                            This Message sent by:
=====U==============U=====  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
\________________________/  1966 Herald 1200 Convertible
 | |                  | |   1973 Spitfire MkIV
 |_|                  |_|   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup