Re: AM/FM/CD Radio for a ' 74 TR6

To: "Hansen, Hans C, III (Red), GLSVC" <rhansen@att.com>
Subject: Re: AM/FM/CD Radio for a ' 74 TR6
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:23:19 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
At 07:58 AM 3/31/99 -0500, Hansen, Hans C, III (Red), GLSVC wrote:

snip

>My question is, has anyone put in an AM/FM/CD radio into an LBC? If so, what
>brand and model? I would imagine that the CD player would have a large
>buffer ("anti-skip") since an LBC has a firmer ride than a typical, large
>American vehicle.

Red,

The opening cast into the center support is not large enough to accept a
CD. You have to chop up your center support to accept the current DIN (no
knobs) style in dash unit.

You can cut the radio opening to fit any current CD player, or, buy a good
old style AM/FM/Cassette that will fit without cutting the center support
and fit a remote CD player in the boot. There are two types of these remote
units. One type is hard wired to an auxiliary input on your in-dash unit.
Make sure you have an aux. input before you buy.

The other type uses one end of the FM band and you tune your receiver to
pick up the CD player transmitting from your boot. The second option makes
good sense to me. These units work pretty well, from what I am told.

I had an early JVC in-dash CD player in my 85 Ramcharger. That truck rode
hard and bounced more than my TR3 ever could. It very rarely skipped. I
would think any current car CD player would be fine in your '6.

BTW, my new truck has a cassette player only. It's been so long I had to
dust off my old collection of cassettes! After I got over how crappy they
sound compared to CD's, I must say I really enjoy the trip back memory lane
every time I pop one in!
 Henry Frye - thefryes@iconn.net - Connecticut, USA
 Stag MkI       Getting Sorted Out
 TR3B           Driver
 TR250 X 3      The BIG Project - Will Be Worth the Wait
 Homepage       http://members.iconn.net/thefryes/