TR6 ignition switch removal?

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 ignition switch removal?
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 14:40:48 -0500
Boy do I need help on this one.  The original ignition switch on my
1974 TR6 is mangled (key broken off, keyway bent up with a screwdriver)
and has been bypassed with a generic switch attached right where
my right knee fits under the console.  I have just received a new
switch with nice bolts at the top of the clamp for attachment to the
steering column.  BUT, I can't for the life of me figure out how to
remove the old original switch.  It has NO nice bolts at the top.
>From what I can see, there is some sort of rivet at the top on each
side, and the design suggets it was never intended to come off!  I
have been cursing the DPO, but now I think I see why he gave up on
taking the old switch out.  God knows why he mangled it in the first
place though.  Any help would be appreciated.

Tim Gaines
1980 Spitfire
1974 TR6