TR6 ignition switch removal? -Reply

To: mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu
Subject: TR6 ignition switch removal? -Reply
From: "Steven McCutcheon" <Steven.McCutcheon@MAH.GOV.ON.CA>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 16:34:11 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Tim:  The rivets you are looking at are actually sheer bolts.  They are
threaded bolts which have a hex head but are turned in the middle so that when
you tighten them into place the head will break off.  That way no-one can steal
your pride and joy simply by backing out two hex bolts and unlocking the
column.  Drill off the "rivet" head and then pull off the exposed half of the
clam shell.  Then put a pair of vice grips on the exposed bolt threads and back
out the bolt.  Voila.  Buy new sheer bolts and reinstall the new or repaired
switch.  If this is unclear e-mail me and I'll try to help further.
Steve Mc
1971 Stag
1972 GT6 conv
1962 TR4