Re: Spitfire tires?

To: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougbert@rcn.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire tires?
From: John Dowson <jdo@star.le.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 09:15:17 +0100
On my Spitfire MKIV I run Avon CR22 165SR13. This is one size up
from the standard 155 x 13 but it is ok to do this on standard rims
according to both Avon and my local tires fitter.

They have a profile of 80 which means that the added bulk of the tires
fills the wheel arches better and various people have commented that
they suit the car. I have had no problems with any fouling of bodywork
or suspension parts.

The tires are now about due for replacement after 20k miles which
have seen many track days and rallies so I think they have lasted
very well.

As for replacement. Well Avon have been bought out by Cooper
Tires and although the web site still shows the CR22 as available
it seems that they have been replaced by the CR322 in the identical
size of 165/80/R13.

In the UK CR322 are available stamped as Avon or Cooper, they are
exactly the same tyre but the Cooper is a bit cheaper and carries a
better guarantee, I understand that this may be reversed in the States.

Hope this may be of interest, the Cooper/Avon web site is

http://www.coopertires.com/tires/avon/htm

John Dowson