Re: OD relay specs

To: CarlSereda@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OD relay specs
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 12:26:39 EDT
In a message dated 5/4/99 12:38:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
CarlSereda@aol.com writes:

> Hi List,
>  I just bought two Seimens brand relay switches for $5.37 total incl tax (
> Moss
>  wants $23 each without the tax and shipping!) Got them from a high end
>  specialty stereo store (standard equipment used to route heavy electrical
>  current to car stereo amplifiers). They are rated for 40/30 Amps (40 amp
>  pulse and 30 amp steady draw) and have 5 terminals
>  One is for my newly aquired rebuilt tranny/overdrive unit solenoid.
>  One is to switch to my optional 'American iron' blaster horn I am hooking
up
>  for freeway use where my two-toned tooter doesn't get a reaction.
>
>  My question is - can anyone on the List tell me the amp/draw on the
> overdrive  solenoid?

Carl,

I have no tech data to support this, but my opinion is:

1) The factory relay is rated no higher than the relays you bought,
2) Both are adequate, but marginal for the application.

I would recommend you call British Wiring (708-481-9050) and order one of
their relay sockets, part No. 817 (less than $4.00). I would use it to mount
the relay, and carry a spare. If the relay ever fails, just pop out the old
one and pop in a replacement and be on your way in less than a minute.

For your horn, you might want to check out my suggested hook-up scheme posted
at:

http://members.aol.com/DANMAS3/airhorns.htm

For this, I also would recommend the relay socket, and you may also want to
consider using one of BW's fuse holders, part No. 146 (less than $2.00).
These snap onto the relay sockets, and take one of the modern blade type auto
fuses.

These relay sockets are dsigned to interlock, along with the fuse holder, so
you can install them all as one assembly, simplifying installation.

BW carries a complete line of typical Lucas/British auto wiring supplies as
well, including the proper color coded wires, bullet connectors, and complete
wiring harnesses.

No financial interest, just a satisfied customer, and delighted to finally
find a source for the hard to find LBC wiring stuff.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74