Stubborn TR6 diff side flanges?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stubborn TR6 diff side flanges?
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 19:00:14 -0700
I was trying to split apart the side flange assemblies tonight so that I
could replace the seals, but I cannot get the flanges to come loose from
the shaft.  I work at a community college here in Bend, Oregon, and tonight
I was up there in the auto shop facility, and one of the instructors was
helping me.  He put the assembly in a press, supported the drive flange
properly, (and yes, the nut is removed!) and then applied several TONS (I
think he went as high as 10 or 12 tons) of pressure to the assembly and
still it would not come apart.

Does anybody have any suggestions or warnings about how to do this or,
maybe more importantly, how NOT to do this?

Thanks much,

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6