Re: Four wheel disc brakes - "tired" reply

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Four wheel disc brakes - "tired" reply
From: John Dowson <jdo@star.le.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 09:46:47 +0100
There are also different types of brake fluid.

If you are feeling rich then Castrol SRF is recommended as a fully synthetic
fluid which is not silicone based.

The importance of changing fluid regularly (I would suggest every 12 months)
cannot be overstated. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and will absorb water  whether
the car is used or not. Regular changes of fluid from a new sealed can will
protect
the system from corrosion as well as preventing brake fade.

Remember that just bleeding new fluid through the system may not be adequate
and it may be necessary to remove the pistons from the disc calipers to
properly
remove the  old fluid from them.

Regular maintenance of your braking system is just as important as regular
engine
oil changes but unfortunately more difficult to do. Brake systems degrade
gradually
and often unnoticed and compensated for by the driver until things get
really bad.

John Dowson