Re: Four wheel disc brakes - "tired" reply

To: sjmeds@rockisland.com
Subject: Re: Four wheel disc brakes - "tired" reply
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 20:55:59 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
sjmeds@rockisland.com writes:

> That may be true for the first few stops, but what about brake fade.  You
>  spend a day going up and down some pretty big hills and those brake things
>  get  really hot and don't work so pretty good anymore.

Chris,

I can't argue with that!  However, that doesn't change the fact that the
tires are the limiting factor in braking for many applications. If you can
lock up the tires, you have more braking power than you can use, at least in
that particular instance.

Problems with brake fade and brake power are generally two separate items,
although the cure may be the same in some cases. I do a lot of driving in the
Smoky Mountains, and I usually drive quite spiritedly, but I have never had a
problem with brake fade in the TR6. The elevation drop from the top to the
bottom is around 5,000 ft in about 10 miles or so, so the roads are pretty
steep (I'm just guessing at those numbers, so I may be way off, but I know
they are STEEP).

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/