Re: Speaking of Tubing for brake, clutch and fuel lines...

To: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Subject: Re: Speaking of Tubing for brake, clutch and fuel lines...
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 15:24:24 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 5 May 1999 DLMAssoc@aol.com wrote:

> Autozone carries a selection of made-up brake lines with brit spec connectors
> on them.  The problem is that they're in the back and the guys at the counter
> don't know they're there or what they're for.  NAPA might also carry them,
> but I wasn't invited to rummage around in the back to try to find any.

Around here they have them too.  HOWEVER, there are metric pipes and SAE
pipes- the difference is in the flare nuts!

Pipes with orange-anodized nuts are SAE (3/8-24 threaded nuts),
green-anodized are metric (10x1.5 or something).  May be different for
other parts of the world, but it's something to check for when you buy
pipes.

It is possible to use the metric ones in an SAE equipped car if you
carefully run the flare nut through a 3/8-24 tap.  I am not endorsing this
method (even though I did it, twice)- I was having an awful time with the
bulk pipe & double flaring tool.

American double-flare lines will work, but again, I don't endorse them
(and I DIDN'T use them...) - these lines have 3/8-24 nuts but they differ
from the Brit fittings; they are threaded all the way down whereas the
Brit ones have the bottom two threads on the flare nut cut away.

Hmm, methinks a picture would help in this case... I did a bit of a
writeup about the intricacies of brake flare nuts in the FAQ, but it might
be lacking.  D'oH!  Time to do a rewrite I guess...

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm