Re: TR3 Carbs -- Poor machining?

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 Carbs -- Poor machining?
From: "Ross Vincenti" <RVincenti@lbfc.com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 16:12 -0800
Sumner wrote:
My newly rebuilt SU carbs were installed a couple of months ago and are
working nicely.  I used the TRF rebuild kits, which were fine.  Prior to
rebuilding, I sent the bodies out to a very popular company for rebushing
and new shafts.  That's where the problem came in, and I'm just passing it
along for information for others contemplating the same thing.  When I got
them back, they looked great and I started reassembling them. When I
mounted the throttle stops to the shafts with new tapered pins, I noticed
that, even with no adjustment screws installed in the throttle stops,  the
butterflies didn't quite close and the stops were bottomed out. They were
nearly closed, but I could see daylight and I sure didn't want them partly
open when I was trying to adjust the slow idle speed.  My conclusion was
that the holes in the shafts were drilled slightly at the wrong angles.
So, Sumner, who was the company?

Ross Vincenti
Temporarily Triumph-less