spitsix -Reply

To: brandonbirath@juno.com
Subject: spitsix -Reply
From: "Steven McCutcheon" <Steven.McCutcheon@MAH.GOV.ON.CA>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 10:23:19 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Brandon:  You were asking about my Spit/6.  I did exactly as you are doing.  I
started with my old '72 GT6 Mk.III roto-flex car.  Removed body, fixed frame
and cleaned, painted and installed everything GT6 along with urethane bushings.
 I then installed painted Spit body tub along with rear frame extension kit
from the UK to mount rear shocks (Rimmer/Moss UK).  I highly recommend this kit
as it allows mounting top of shock to new bracket which extends from frame and
uses shorter SPAX gas shocks (note the kit must be installed before body is
mounted!).  Without the kit you would have to weld in new mounting brackets in
the wheel well (my old ones were rusted anayway) and the convertable tub would
probably flex more than the GT and therefore not supprt the shocks in rough
conditions.  The only other thing of real note is that the starter is on the
opposite side from the Spit and so you will have to cut away some body metal
around the passenger side of the GBX/firewall/floor.  Its minor and easy to cut
away butt enough to prevent the body from being set on if not done in advance.
I have been driving my car for a couple of weeks now and am slowly debugging
some minor things but I am really pleased with the result.  Man does this car
fly and it holds corners like few Spits ever dreamed of.  E-mail me if I can be
of any more help.
Steve Mc
1972 GT6 conv
1962 TR4