RE: Swallow Doretti

To: "'slantws@home.net'" <slantws@home.net>
Subject: RE: Swallow Doretti
From: Kurt Oblinger <koblinger@linkline.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 20:40:01 -0700
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jerry,

Tom Householder in Ohio does know where most of them are. If one is for sale he
would know. I can give you his phone number if you would like it. There is a
car out here in the LA area that a fellow has been restoring. It is basically
all done except for paint. The owner has told me he intended to sell it when it
was done. He started with a very complete car and so far has done a good
quality home resto. The car has all the correct early TR2 pieces, he was very
fortunate to get such a complete car.

FYI for the rest of the group, the Swallow Doretti was a very low production
car built for only 10 months. It used TR2 engine, drivetrain and suspension
with a chromoly steel tube frame. Th body was mainly aluminum (doors are steel)
over a steel understructure. The car was intended to be more upmarket from the
TR2 and was more expensive. There was a move afoot in Triumph to make the car
part of the Triumph line but the Director of Triumph was injured in a road
accident while being given a demonstration ride in a Doretti. Best guess on
production was approx. 280 units.

Cheers,

Kurt Oblinger
'54 TR2