pinion nut torques - I think I stepped in it!

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'WayneWhippo@compuserve.com'" <WayneWhippo@compuserve.com>, "'dynamic@transport.com'" <dynamic@transport.com>, "'randallyoung@earthlink.net'" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: pinion nut torques - I think I stepped in it!
From: "Janssen, Lee K" <lee.k.janssen@lmco.com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 06:48:50 -0600
Wayne Whippo wrote a whole grocery list of potential errors in the Bentley
manual. Unfortunately the 6 Tech manual only provides one other torque in
the differential area:
"If you have a used differential and the noise hasn't been there long you
may be lucky in that someone did not tighten the nut on the front of the
pinion shaft sufficiently when they removed the driving flange to replace
the front seal and the damage hasn't been done yet. This nut must be tighten
to 100 foot pounds with a torque wrench or the pinion will move back causing
a mis-match of the pinion gear with the ring gear and a corresponding
whine."

Looks like I have a date under my car this weekend! And to think that I had
the prop shaft out two days ago!

What does the HAYNES MANUAL have with regards to differential torque values?

Lee Janssen - Village Idiot, and looking dumber all the time!
Denver CO