Re: GT6 MK1 stuff

To: Blofed <blofeld@access1.net>
Subject: Re: GT6 MK1 stuff
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 14:11:57 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On 8 May 1999, Blofed wrote:

> 1.  I think I have a `66 GT6 and not a `67 GT6 as my title states.  How
> do I know for sure? No. is KC3473L.

>From information I have, the first GT6 built in CALENDAR year 1967 was
KC1857, so yours definitely would have been built in 1967. I'm pretty
sure that even the first GT6s were originally intended to have been 1967
Models.

> 2.  Time to replace the rear u-joint trunions on either side of the
> diff... is this more involved than it looks. Yes, I've read the manual,
> but they don't always tell it like it is.

It's pretty straightforward, actually -- kinda like the book says (unless
you run into a bolt seized inside the sleeve of a bushing, etc.).

> 3.  Temperature gauge replacement.  I want to put an MG Temp/Oil
> pressure gauge in place of, anybody out there do it, is it straight
> forward and how do you make sure the temp and oil readings are accurate
> (or at least close)?

It is a straightforward job. You'll need, for the temperature sender "bulb,"
the adaptor made for the late MG Midget 1500 (with the Triumph Spitfire
engine). As for accuracy, you might have the gauge refurbished as needed
by a place such as Nisonger or other instrument rebuilder/vendor. Beyond
that, I've found the mechanical gauges to be accurate enough for this
purpose.

> 4.  I'm really lovin' this car.

What's NOT to love?

--Andy