Re: Clutch problems and other TR-7 questions

To: WallabyGuy@aol.com
Subject: Re: Clutch problems and other TR-7 questions
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 23:30:26 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi, Rob,

I used to have one of these things and I can help a little...

WallabyGuy@aol.com wrote:

> I have a 1977 TR-7 4 speed Sunroof Coupe that I am in the process of
> restoring and I need some help in a few areas.
>
> First, the clutch is failing to engage when depressed.  I've checked the
> master cylinder and all seems well there.  Fluid seems to not be moving in
> the systempast the master, however.  Where should I go next?

I presume you mean disengage? The slave cylinder might be siezed-have
someone press the pedal while you see if it's moving. The major nasty
that afflicted my 5-speed '7 was a broken release arm. This pressed
steel arm
pivots on a ball-ended pin and on mine, the pin wore right through the
arm so the hydraulics had nothing to work on. If you do have the gearbox
off, make sure the pivot depression isn't thin. I bought a new arm and
welded a hefty piece of strap across the back so that the pivot
depression was heavily reinforced. Needless to say, mine had broken just
after reassembly :-(

> Second,  I am still looking for a handle for my Edrose roll back roof
> assembly.  I would even take an entire assembly from a source if I could find
> one.  Any suggestions?

Sorry, no.

> Third, the upper door hinge on the drivers side door is broken.  I am about
> to receive a replacement.  What is the best way to remove and replace this
> part since it is welded?

This is a grinding job-take most of the weld off with an angle grinder
then finish with a Dremel and stone. Before removal measure the *exact*
location of the old hinge (tack weld the break first if possible).
During replacement, tack weld the new hinge blade and try the door
before welding it properly. This is a hard job to do twice.

> Forth, My headlamps fail to raise and lower without manual help.  They do
> light and are connected.  Does this mean that I need new motors or am I
> looking at a poor electrical connection somewhere?

Check all the motor wiring, including the relay wiring. If the motors
aren't even 'trying', a strip and clean may help.Also, it may be
possible to 'hot wire' the motors to see if there's any life in
them-watch your fingers. Danmas will probably know which contacts to try
from the battery live.

> Finally, and this is a hard one, I need a red and black plaid seat cover and
> drivers side door panel for my interior.  None of the big three (moss, trf,
> vbl) have them.  I was actually laughed at by one of the previously
> mentioned, however I will keep them anonymous.  What can I do?  Does anyone
> on the list have these items that they might be willing to part with?

Try Rimmer Bros. here in the UK.

regards,

Dave Hill