RE: TR3 Fan belt time

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Fan belt time
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 10:22:00 -0700
Adrian :

I've changed many fan belts on several different TR3A's, and never had to
undo a motor mount.  Of course, the last time I did it, I switched to the
Cummins belt, which is _much_ easier to install.

Turning the steering wheel all the way to one side or the other should give
you enough clearance.  If by some chance your mounts are sagged so bad that
this is impossible, then for the moment you should be able to just jack
(Gently!) under the pan to deform them back to the original place and put
on the belt.  After that, I'd get new mounts !

The LHS mount _is_ somewhat easier to remove if you remove the radiator
hose.  You'll probably also want to put the car on jack stands, and remove
the front wheels.  If you are jacking the engine up with only the LHS mount
loose, be sure you don't run the air cleaners into the RHS fender well (as
I did last month).

Randall