Re: TR3 Body Dip

To: Jeff A Williamson <Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 Body Dip
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 14:43:25 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 10 May 1999, Jeff A Williamson wrote:

> I have heard that this process will eat up rust, but also anything that's not
> iron or steel, i.e., Bondo, fibreglass, aluminium, rubber, and some alloys.
>Is
> this true? Are there any parts of the frame or body that will not survive the
> acid or chemicals that are used? For those of you who've done this before,
>are
> there any ill side effects to having the body "dipped"?

Yes, I'm pretty sure anything nasty enough to eat rust (properly) is also
able to devour pretty much anything else.

I spilled some Rust-Mort on some Bondo by accident when un-rusting my TR4
and it left quite a nasty "scar".  Rust-Mort is a high percentage of
phosphoric acid, which is probably similar to what's used in a dip tank.

> Although I have not asked for any quotes yet, I've heard that this process on
> car this size should run around $300 for the body, and $50 for the frame.
>Does
> this sound about right?

Dunno about the money, but also bargain for anywhere from hours to weeks
for them to get it done.  We only have one place to do chemical-dips
around here (Redi-Strip), and it took a week for him to do my gas tank.  I
didn't pay for it (subcontract from the rad shop), but I had to wait; no
fun when the last thing to be done before driving is the gas tank!

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm