speedo cable overhaul

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: speedo cable overhaul
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 23:20:58 -0700 (PDT)
Addendum to last post (sorry, kinda tired)

-To remove all leftover bits of the old cable, I rammed them out with two
1/8" welding rods.  This was after a lot of fighting with drills and
pliers and soaps, etc.  Wish I'd thought of that first.

-Areas of the cable that were no longer protected got double-wrapped
carefully with vinyl electrical tape.  If it doesn't hold then I will
switch to another sort of stretchy-yet-tough tape.

-note to those who wish to do this job, or anything else "down below"- get
some degreaser.  Use it wisely.  I wish I'd hosed off the fitting for the
lower end of the speedo cable.  (wear goggles!!)  I DID do this when doing
the transmission filter on my mom's chevette, and it's sooo much nicer to
work on a clean surface.  And that dirt, grime, and muck has been stuck to
your car for so long, it's itching for a change of scenery, and will jump
onto whatever you touch it with without delay!

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm