Non-TR, auto tranny question.

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Non-TR, auto tranny question.
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 01:31:47 -0700
Oh list of wisdom,

It's not a TR, but I bet someone out there can give me an idea what's
going on here!

My TSV (Triumph Support Vehicle) is a Ford Aerostar that receives
precious little attention as I'd rather get TR grease on my knuckles.

However, I do have to service the old TSV occasionally so it can be
relied upon to fetch TR parts. Last weekend I yanked out the auto tranny
dipstick (it's one of those 15 foot long ones, ok ok I'm exaggerating a
little!) and found the upper portion (furthest from the tranny)
liberally coated with rust. What's going on here? Condensation? Weird
chemical reactions in the gearbox due to infrequent fluid (fluif)
changes? Is this a Nostradamus-type sign the end is near, Aerostar
Armageddon?

Any thoughts?

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.