diff pinion preload etc

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: diff pinion preload etc
From: "Terry & Cindy O'Beirne" <esp@hypermax.net.au>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 17:53:39 +1000
I am still using my original Churchill tool with a sliding weight (see
you real shop manual for pictures of it) to set diff pinion preloads on
all triumphs. I can assure you all the correct value is inch-pounds. The
real trick however is that it has to be measured with the oil seal
removed!!!!If not, most of what you measure is leather seal drag.
This is a real haasle with later diffs with the collapsible spacer, but
I assume the factory did it differently then, just doing it up to a
predetermined pinion movement.

The next trick is to use the tool as a good guide only, cause different
 bearings bed in differently. I always set it "tightish" with new
bearings and "loosish" with old ones (cause they wont wear any more).

Terry O'Beirne
2500 racer, TR5, GT6 etc etc