Re: TR3A Brake drum removal

To: Paul Schneider <schneidr@mc.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A Brake drum removal
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 17:46:29 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Tue, 11 May 1999, Paul Schneider wrote:

> One pair of the rear brakes on ny 1960 TR3A have frozen in the "panic stop"
> position.  Needless to say, it looks like it will be tough to get the drum
> off.  Any tips on how to remove the drum while inflicting minimum damage on
> the drum and other parts?

Is the adjuster stuck too?  If not, back it (ALL the way) off, it should
pul the shoes away.  I had to free the rear brakes on my TR4 after I
bought it (handbrake on for 5 years + wet climate = stuck brakes).  The
adjusters had to be un-adjusted, and there was much hammering (rubber
hammer, hunk o' wood, and light taps with a metal bar) involved in
removing the drums.

As a later resort, you can undo everything on the backing plate and remove
the entire unit (or try to).  This is a viable option as you have a good
side to refer to when re-assembling.  Don't take both sides apart at once!

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm