Re: TR7 head leak

To: MOWOGMAN@aol.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR7 head leak
From: Bristol7@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 00:02:06 EDT

<< The story so far............new family member, an '80 TR7 Convertible,
66000
 miles.  original muffler shocks struts, etc.  I've replaced lots of stuff,
 startin' to look good.
 Had coolant leaks, rebuilt water pump, ALL hoses, cleaned up everything,
 replaced head gasket, added exhaust man. gaskets, etc. (really looks nice
 now!)
 I still seem to have a leak from the head to block joint.  It is somewhere
 near # 2 or 3 cylinder, I can't pinpoint it yet. (on the intake side)  I CAN
 verify through observation that none of the under manifold components are
 leaking.>>

 Are you sure about the *under the manifold components*, i.e., there
 is am *O* ring (Part No. TRS2024) which fits onto the manifold face
 where it bolts into the head. It can fall out of place, become dislodged,
 etc. when re-fitting the intake manifold. I have seen *seeping from a
 head* which was the result of a very sloppy job by a hurry up and
 drive mechanic (Me) where "O" ring wasn't properly installed. I am
 NOT inferring you are sloppy, but the ring can cause a bit of a
 *seep*  hassle if it doesn't seat correctly.

 Did you check the manifold itself for trueness (is that a word?)
 Is it flat? A warped aluminum intake manifold will cause a
 headache too (sorry no pun intended)

<< What is the norm here?, cracks?, warping?, crappy head gaskets?
 The head checked flat, I didn't notice any crack evidence, (block or head).
 I am VERY familiar with these issues on my Mini, and Healey, but am new to
 7's. >>

 Warping, but generally any of the above can be a cause for concern, but
 I really think you ought to check that pesky *O* ring considering the
 effort and attention to detail concerning the head gasket, pump, etc.
 you put into this.

 Ideas? ( Can I torque the head to a higher value?)

  It's aluminum. Not a good idea. Especially if you really don't
  completely understand the source of the problem. Try the "O"
  ring first, and check if the face of the manifold is true.

 Good Luck. I hope this might help.

 Best Regards,

 Kirk Yonker
 81 TR8 Fi Dhc Pod