Differential pinion preload

To: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Differential pinion preload
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 13:44:06 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
We just finished the thread on diff preloads, but I still have one question
about the 15-18 inch-lbs. applied to turn the pinion without the seal, etc.,
etc.  Is this torque measured without the axles attached?  With the axles,
but no wheels? or just jack it up, spin everything and shim until this value
is reached?

This was not addressed in our recent thread and is not clear in the Factory
TR2-3 or the Haynes manuals.  I believe there would be a significant
difference and since I am about to reshim, (The preload was almost
non-existent when I replaced the seal last year and I only had enough shims
to get to 55 ft-lbs. of preload.  I now have more shims and I am going to
get the preload the rest of the way to 85 ft-lbs.

To sum it up, is the 15-18 in-lbs. measuring the resistance of spinning just
the pinion in the diff, or the axles and wheels too?

Regards,

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A
1974 Norton 850 Commando