TR3A Body Dipping - response

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A Body Dipping - response
From: Jeff A Williamson <Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 11:14 -0500
Hop-count: 1
Thanks to all of you who responded to my inquiry on body "dipping".  I
contacted the local strip shop today to get a quote and some general
information. Based on the responses from many of you, I think I was able to ask
the right questions, and here are the answers I was given:

1) They will do the both the body and the frame.
2) Everything that bolts on must be removed, i.e. fenders, doors, hood, trunk,
etc.
3) They first heat the body and frame, then dip them in a "pickling" acid
solution.
4) All parts are dipped using a rack, so as not to damage the body by lifting
in the wrong places.
5) The acid will disolve aluminum, lead, and any porous metals.
6) Any remaining rust is etched by the process.
7) After dipping, the parts are coated with a water-soluble solution to keep
them from rusting prior to painting.
8) Before the parts are painted, they must be washed thoroughly with water to
remove the coating solution.
9) There is no residue left behind, and no future seepage.
10) Cost is $350 per body, $150 for frame, $25 per door, $25 per fender, $50
for hood, and $35 for trunk lid. (If I did the math right, that's $735 for the
entire car, but they'll probably add on another $50 for the front cap).

The total cost is higher than I was told by my "buddies", but it seems much
less than some of you were quoted by RediStrip and Chem-Strip. So now I have a
decision to make.

What do you think?

Jeff Williamson
Belleville, MI